Today I would like to dedicate this message to all fathers as you prepare your family into the future. The future is very uncertain-there are dark clouds ahead. Politics have become uncertain-wars and rumors of war. Economically- things become more expensive due to inflation. How do you feel when you look into your future? Do you feel fearful, anxious or excited?
Now listen, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.” 14 Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. 15 Instead, you ought to say, “If it is the Lord’s will, we will live and do this or that.”- James 4:13-15
The Bible tells us right and wrong way to plan our future. The most important is to put God in the center when we plan our future.
- Folly to avoid
- when we planned for the future, there are things to be avoid. The scripture in James said that the businessmen were sure /certain that they will make money in the city after doing business for 1 year as they planned and calculated everything.
- However, the businessmen planned without God. It is their 1st mistake. Secondly, they were positive that things can work out according to their plans. Thirdly, they were prideful about their plans. The Bible says that we don’t even know what will happen tomorrow and it means we are not in control of the future.
Many are the plans in a person’s heart, but it is the Lord’s purpose that prevails.-Proverbs 19:21
Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes.- James 4:14
- Accept the facts
- Accept what the Bible says- we are a like a mist because we come and go.
- Because of the pandemic, our plans changed and our future became uncertain. Travel, business and the way of life.
- Death is uncertain- George Bernard Shaw said “Death is the ultimate statistic. One out of one will die.” When we buy items, we can look at the expiry date. We also have expiry date but we don’t know. When we think about the these facts, how do we face the future?
How do we face the future?
- We live purposefully and for God. Do not take things for granted and be thankful for each day.
- When we look at these two points, we don’t hold things too tightly. Things can be taken away from us.
- Hold a heavenly perspective and I want to be prepared for that.
- I am thankful that I will be with Jesus when I die. We need not fear death but to know that I will be with Jesus.
Instead, you ought to say, “If it is the Lord’s will, we will live and do this or that.”- James 4:15
God is in control of our life and the Lord over our life. We can trust in Him. #Look to Him and Lean on Him. When we look into the future, we should look to Him and lean on Him.
Are there any areas of concern in your life, you can rely on God and surrender your situations to Him.
“Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God-Corrine Ten Boom
With the future so uncertain, let us:
- Centered in Christ
- Committed to the Word
- Compassionate for others
- Connected to the Church
- Consecrated to the Lord
Jesus is our compass and we can rely on the Lord for direction.