1 John 2:16 For all that is in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—is not of the Father but is of the world.
Gen 3:6 And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food (lust of the flesh), and that it was pleasant to the eyes (lust of the eyes), and a tree to be desired to make one wise (the pride of life),
- Lust of the flesh – Temptation from the desire for physical pleasure through sinful activity.
- g. Sexual sins, pornography, drugs, alcohol, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, envy, etc. (Galatians 5:19-21)
- Lust of the eyes – Coveting, Pornography, Status, Appearance, etc.
- Pride of life – For excess power, need to feel important, to get glory, to get attention.
- Pride is a form of self-idolatry.
Ephesians 6:12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.
- Our battles are getting fiercer and tougher, that is why we need to stay in His power
There are three kinds of Power mentioned in the Bible
Ephesians 1:17-21 that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give to you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him, the eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that you may know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints, and what is the exceeding greatness of His power (Dunamis) toward us who believe, according to the working of His mighty power (Kratos) which He worked in Christ when He raised Him from the dead and seated Him at His right hand in the heavenly places, far above all principality and power (Exeusia) and might and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this age but also in that which is to come.
- Divine power (Dunamis)
Ephesians 1:19a and what is the exceeding greatness of His power (Dunamis) toward us who believe
- “Greatness of His POWER” Strong’s G1411 Dunamis – Divine Power
- Dunamis is the “moral power and excellence of soul,” according to Thayer’s Greek Lexicon
- We can only live our Christian life in God’s power and not ours. It is God’s ability that gives us the ability to achieve, overcome for apart from Him we can do nothing (John 15:5).
How to experience God’s Dunamis?
- God’s Witness – Acts 1:8 But you will receive power [Dunamis] when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth
- Gospel – 2 Timothy 1:7 For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power [Dunamis], love and self-discipline.
- Godly lives – 2 Peter 1:3 His divine power [Dunamis] has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness.
- Glory – Ephesians 3:20–21 Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power [Dunamis] that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.
- Grace of God – 2 Corinthians 12:9 But he said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for my power [Dunamis] is made perfect in weakness.’ Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.”
- Gift – Parable of the Talents (Matthew 25:14–30), the servants are given wealth based on their dunamis, or their “ability” to handle money.
We experience the divine power of God when we put God’s kingdom and His Church first in everything we do, being empowered by His Dunamis to live godly lives and to preach the Gospel.
- Demonstrated-Power (Kratos)
Ephesians 1:19b-20 according to the working of His mighty power (Kratos), which He worked in Christ when He raised Him from the dead and seated Him at His right hand in the heavenly places,
- “Mighty POWER” Strong’s #2904 Kratos – Mighty Power
- Dominion or Ruling power, Demonstrated Power
Kratos is demonstrated through His Provision and Protection.
Hebrews 2:14 Inasmuch then as the children have partaken of flesh and blood, He Himself likewise shared in the same, that through death He might destroy him who had the power [Kratos] of death, that is, the devil,
1 Peter 4:11 If anyone speaks, let him speak as the oracles of God. If anyone ministers, let him do it as with the ability which God supplies, that in all things God may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom belong the glory and the dominion [Kratos] forever and ever. Amen
1 Peter 5:10-11 But may the God of all grace, who called us to His eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after you have suffered a while, perfect, establish, strengthen, and settle you. To Him be the glory and the dominion [Kratos] forever and ever. Amen.
Jude 1:24-25 2Now to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling, and to present you faultless before the presence of His glory with exceeding joy, to God our Saviour, Who alone is wise, be glory and majesty, dominion [Kratos] and power [exousia – delegated], both now and forever. Amen.
Colossians 1:9-11 For this reason we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to ask that you may be filled with the knowledge of His will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding; that you may walk worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing Him, being fruitful in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God; strengthened with all might [dynamis – divinie], according to His glorious power [Kratos], for all patience and longsuffering with joy;
Kratos is demonstrated through Spiritual Warfare.
Ephesians 6:10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power [Kratos] of his might.
- It is power that is working behind the scenes to energize us.
- This power that God used when He raised Jesus from the dead is the same, exact, identical power that is now at work in us.
- That means we have resurrection power working in our lives!
- Delegated-Power (Exousias)
Ephesians 1:21 far above all principality and power (Exeusia) and might (Dunamis) and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this age but also in that which is to come.
- “Mandated POWER” Strong’s G1849 Exeusia – Delegated Power
- Delegated Authoritative and Influential power
We are now under the Lordship of Jesus Christ, this power is now mandated and delegated to us.
Ephesians 2:1-2 And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power [exousia] of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience
What does God’s delegated power or Exousias do?
- Colossians 1:13–14 He has delivered us from the power [exousia] of darkness and conveyed us into the kingdom of the Son of His love, in whom we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins.
- Colossians 2:15 Having disarmed principalities and powers [exousia], He made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them in it.
- Ephesians 3:10–11 to the intent that now the manifold wisdom of God might be made known by the church to the principalities and powers [exousia] in the heavenly places, according to the eternal purpose which He accomplished in Christ Jesus our Lord,
- Mark 6:7 And He called the twelve to Himself, and began to send them out two by two, and gave them power [exousia] over unclean spirits.
Stay in God’s Power
- His divine power (dunamis) empowers us to live godly lives and to do His works,
- Thereby releasing His demonstrated-power (Kratos)
- As we exercise our God-given delegated-power (Exousias).