Ears that hear the voice of God
- The greatest problem with deception in Church is spiritual deafness and spiritual apathy
- Some have ears that are not hearing, understanding but not doing
Hearken unto His voice to guard against deception and spiritual apathy
- Jesus says in Matthew 11:15 He who has ears to hear, let him hear!
- Harken unto his voice is not just hearing His voice, but also have the intention of obeying
- James 1:22 But be doers of the word, and not hearers only
- Romans 10:17 So then faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God.
- Hearing (Akoē: from the root word Akouō: Hearken)
- Word (Rhēma: Uttered by the living voice, thing spoken, word)
1) Pray in the Secret place
The only way to hear God’s voice is to commune with God in prayer.
Prayer and Fasting are all to be done in the secret place, and our Heavenly Father will reward openly
- Matthew 6:5-6 “And when you pray, you shall not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly.
- Matthew 6:16-18 “Moreover, when you fast, do not be like the hypocrites, with a sad countenance. For they disfigure their faces that they may appear to men to be fasting. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. But you, when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face, so that you do not appear to men to be fasting, but to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly.
Psalm 91:1-2 He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty .I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust.”
Psalm 27:5 For in the time of trouble He shall hide me in His pavilion; In the secret place of His tabernacle He shall hide me; He shall set me high upon a rock.
2) Pray After You Have Obeyed
We must choose to obey Him before we even pray
- Salvation is free but following Christ is costly – it requires obedience
- Even Jesus did not get all His prayers answered. Yet He chose to obey.
- At Gethsemane, Jesus cried out to God the Father in Matthew 26:36-44. Three times Jesus prayed to be spared, but His prayer was not answered. Yet Jesus obeyed and said Matthew 26:42 “Yet not my will, but Your will be done”
- Jesus knew right from the beginning the whole works of Him sacrificing Himself on the cross.
- Jesus humbled Himself, came to the earth and died on the cross. Therefore God exalted Him to the highest place and gave Him the name that is above every name.
- We also have the responsibility on earth to see God’s will be done
- Matthew 6:9 In this manner, therefore, pray: Our Father in heaven, hallowed be Your name. Your kingdom come. Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
Pray after you have obeyed because we know God’s way is always the best way
3) Pray and Act by Faith
After Jesus taught His disciples how to pray, He went on to teach them various things
Read Matthew 6:19-34
- Matthew 6:19-21 Lay up treasures in heaven
- Matthew 6:22-23 The lamp of the body is the eye
- Matthew 6:24 Serve God or mammon
- Matthew 6:25-34 Do Not Worry
- Matthew 6:33 But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.
Righteousness means right standing with God
- We are to seek the things of God as a priority over the things of the world.
- Seek first the Kingdom of God is to put God as a priority, to live a life of obedience to Him, preaching the gospel, spending time and money on things that will further His Kingdom
- Having done that, He will take care of our business as He promised
Application: Set time to fast and pray in the secret place daily, Hearken unto His voice and seek His presence