Matthew 18:2-5 (NKJV) At that time the disciples came to Jesus, saying, “Who then is greatest in the kingdom of heaven?” Then Jesus called a little child to Him, set him in the midst of them, and said, “Assuredly, I say to you, unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore whoever humbles himself as this little child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.
- Jesus says that child-likeness is an essential condition to enter the kingdom of heaven
- To have salvation, the very first step begins with a childlike faith
- Recall the day when we accepted Jesus, we are like little children who don’t fully understand everything about GOD yet, but we place our trust and accept Christ as our Lord and Saviour
- Jesus gave so much value in child-like faith. He says that is greatness in the eyes of GOD.
- As we mature as Christians, it is important for us to maintain our child-like faith
Simplify your Faith
- Gaining knowledge in the word of GOD should not complicate your faith. It should simplify it.
- As we gain more knowledge, and we tend to think that we know more now, we learn what is good and what is bad, we know what to do to please GOD, we have grown and matured
- But even when we gain in knowledge, we are still not in control, GOD is in control over
- Sometimes we tend to over think, and do our own evaluation based on our understanding
- Although evaluations are important, the childlike eagerness to obey is more important
- A child will put away these complications, and respond naturally with joy to any calling
- Obey first, then think about what to do, not the other way, when we think first, complicate things, and eventually we changed it according to our own plans and own understandings
- Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understandings
- The purest form of the relationship with GOD is just to be a little child to HIM
- They obey and desire nothing in return except to please the parents, simply because they love them; this form of obedience is a pure response to love – and we know GOD loves us
The child’s response to Jesus
- When Jesus asked the child to come over in Matthew 18, he obeyed without reluctance
- The most beautiful thing is, I believe the child didn’t even know recognize importance of the role he played there. He simply obeyed Jesus direction to stand in the midst of the disciples.
- And Jesus used the child to teach one of the most important lesson to His disciples that day
- That child has a simple faith, but it was stronger than all the disciples that day
- You could be that child. It could be any of us, serving in ways we thought it was insignificant, but with a childlike faith, JESUS said that that is greatness in the kingdom of GOD.
Not about what you do
- It is not about how much you can do, GOD seeks what is within,
- Sometimes we question ourselves: whether we can actually make an impact for GOD, whether our effort can be seen, whether it would be better if I let someone else do the job?
- But If GOD wants you to do something, no one else can do it for you.
- A child does not question oneself when called to serve, he does not think of whether his work will be substantial, because he knows that his parents will be pleased nonetheless.
Gaining knowledge in the word of GOD does not complicate, it simplifies faith
Removing contaminants to Sincerity of the Heart
- Insecurity – When we are serving, Look at GOD, don’t look at ourselves
- When we look at ourselves instead of GOD, we lose perspective, we lose the bigger picture, that is we are serving GOD
- we don’t have compare ourselves with others because GOD does not compare
- Romans 2:11 There is no partiality with God, God does not show favouritism
- Pride – our abilities can hinder our sincerity if we become prideful
- Are we serving ourselves or are we serving GOD? We have to choose one
- James 4:6 God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.
- Fear – Afraid to fail or make mistakes
- Unlike other things, there is no fear in serving and following GOD
- Our GOD does not condemn us if we serve with a sincere heart, even if we did something wrong. HE sees what is within
- Romans 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit.
- Insecurity – When we think that we are not good enough
- No matter how little we think our contribution is, GOD sees it differently, because GOD looks what is inside of us – HE is looking for a childlike spirit
- If we serve with a childlike faith, GOD will empower us.
- In word of JESUS, you who humble yourselves like little children are the greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven, so do not think that we are not good enough.
Let us remove all these things that contaminate the sincerity of our hearts when we serve
Follow God’s Word
- With a simple and sincere heart, all that is left for us to do is to submit ourselves and obey
- Psalm 119: 105 Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.
- The word of GOD is like a tiny source of light in darkness, that leads us to the right direction
- Read the bible every day and rely on it. Even though we are like a child who does not understand everything. We learn bit by bit as we move forward in life, HIS word is our lamp
- When things fail, don’t ask WHY GOD, recognize and understand that HE is a loving Father
- There are many things we don’t know, we don’t want to struggle with what we don’t know,
- Like a child, we want focus on what we know: GOD is good and we should submit to Him
- Romans 8:28 we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. So let’s go into rest with a simple, childlike faith
- There is beauty the dim source of light from a lamp, that we learn to trust and rely on GOD
- That is the kind of relationship that GOD wants to have with us, HE wants to lead us
- Sometimes we find ourselves in situation that we cannot handle, but if we submit ourselves to GOD, and harken onto his voice, seek HIS presence, HE will empower us
- It is not how much we can do, it is how much we can do with GOD
Application: This entire week, every morning, no matter what circumstance you are facing, let us exercise this childlike faith by praying this simple yet powerful childlike prayer: Lead me Lord