Jesus repeated the phrase “I come quickly” three times in Rev 22
- Rev 22:7 “Behold, I am coming quickly! Blessed is he who keeps the words of the prophecy of this book.”
- Rev 22:12“And behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me, to give to every one according to his work.
- Rev 22:20 He who testifies to these things says, “Surely I am coming quickly.”
- The last time it was repeated, Jesus was so sure. This gives us assurance
- It gives us the idea the Jesus was so excited and eager to come
- When a phrase is repeated three times in the bible, it means it is very important
2 Peter 3:1-18 Talks about the second coming of Jesus.
2 Peter 3:1-2 The second epistle, beloved, I now write unto you; in both which I stir up your pure minds by way of remembrance: That ye may be mindful of the words which were spoken before by the holy prophets, and of the commandment of us the apostles of the Lord and Saviour
- Not that we don’t know, but Peter writes this to stir up our minds to remind us.
- So that when the Lord comes back, we are ready to be with Him
What to expect in the last days ?
2 Peter 3:3 Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts and saying, where is the promise of his coming? For since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of creation
- Expect that there will be mockers who will ridicule us when we talk about the second coming
- “Wise people speak wisely but fools speak foolishly: Wise people may not fully understand GOD’s ways, but they will not speak foolishly, they want to know more.
- The fools are arrogant, they ignore what was written in the bible, and speak foolishly
2 Peter 3: 5-7 For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water: Whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished: But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men
- Peter reminded the believers about the story of Noah when God destroyed the world.
- Noah could have chosen to mock at the idea of GOD, but he chose to the believe the word of GOD, even though he could not fully comprehend why GOD wants to destroy the world.
- Noah was faithful and spent 120 years to build a boat. Noah went to preach about GOD’s judgement and ask people to repent, but nobody believed, and they mocked at Noah.
- When it was all done, GOD shut the door of the Ark, and destroyed the world.
- GOD did not let Noah close the door, as when GOD shuts the door, nobody can open.
- It does not matter whether people believe or not, the word of GOD will always come to pass
What is the delay?
2 Peter 3:8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
- GOD has not forgotten. Jesus will come in His time. God has His own time.
- If Jesus would have come now, some people would be left behind
- God is not willing to let anyone perish because He loves the world. God is waiting for more to accept Christ and be saved, so we should be thankful that the second coming is delayed.
The Second coming of Jesus is very certain
2 Peter 3:10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.
- The world will be destroyed again by fire, and Peter was certain that it would come to pass
2 Peter 3: 11 Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness … 14a Wherefore, beloved, seeing that ye look for such things…17a Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before,
- When we are treasuring up the things of this world, we are not truly believing that Jesus will come in our time.
- Let us rise up to live for the Lord, so that people will see that we truly believe in the Jesus
All that we need to live a holy live has been given to us through Jesus
2 Peter 1:2-4 Grace and peace be yours in abundance through the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord. His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature, having escaped the corruption in the world caused by evil desires.
Peter advise us to stand firm and keep on growing
2 Peter 1:17-18 You therefore, beloved, since you know this beforehand, beware lest you also fall from your own steadfastness, being led away with the error of the wicked; but grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory both now and forever. Amen
- Empowered to live for Him
- Empowered to love souls
- Empowered to be mighty